Friday, February 19, 2010

Online Adventures


Until recently, it never understood how technically advanced the world is. I realized it when I was trying to pick up an old hobby of mine. Ever since I could read, write, and move my fingers, I have played the piano. I was quite good and won a few contests, but the passion slipped away as grew older. I have recently tried to pick up the old hobby, but not the way I first learned.
Back in the good ol’ days, my piano teacher, Mrs. Shiranti, would visit my house weekly at 5:00 to instruct me at the piano in my living room. My mom would always interest her in a cool beverage, and then we would be off to an hour of musical knowledge. It was an hour to relax, and escape the hard day at school.
Soon, I found myself veering away from music in general. The young “musical Gabby” turned into the “sporty Gabby”. I started playing many different sports such as basketball, tennis, and soccer. That held up for a couple of years, until I started gymnastics and cheer. Ever since, that has been my passion, but now I’m finding myself missing music every day.
I suppose that is what led me down into the basement the other week to wipe the cobwebs off the piano. However, this time around, I found myself learning in many new ways. The first place was Garage band. It’s a program on Apple computers that allows you to virtually make your own music with computer instruments. The program also has special lessons on various instruments. So I clicked on the piano and a man taught me the basic fundamentals of how to play piano in a video. There was also an option to download further lessons.
The next way to learn how to play an instrument is to go to a very common website. Youtube offers thousands of videos to help you in the skill. Many talented pianists have chosen to teach lessons by video an upload them to Youtube. It’s a priceless way to learn something as long as you have access to a computer.
These many new technologies have shocked me. The fact that nowadays we can learn a new skill, just by typing in a URL is ultimately scary. This world is becoming highly technical and depending on your own opinion that could be for the good or better. I am proud; however, to say that this advanced technology has recently helped me to advance my skill.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Gabby, just a quick note to say how proud I am to see you growing into a beautiful young lady. I love to read your blog because it brings out your personality and passions. Mom and I are so pleased with your academic accomplishments and want you to know we are right behind you in whatever you do.
    Love Dad.
    p.s I wonder if the 'music' thing runs in the family? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby, I am very familiar myself with the Garage band program on Mac computers. Also, I like how you mentioned to use Youtube to learn how to play instruments because thats how i learned to tie a neck tie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just recently started to learn playing guitar and I'd agree about YouTube. There's so many different videos on the website that teach you how to play certain songs. Good luck with your piano!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to also play piano. I quit when i was younger, but i wish i would've kept playing. It really IS scary the things you can learn on the web these days. I'll have to check out the Garage Band program on my computer. I didn't know you could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to play the piano too Lyndsay and Gabby. Too bad the only song I could play was chopsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabby maybe one day you can teach me how to play i might just go wipe off my piano and try to teach myself.

    ReplyDelete