Saturday, April 3, 2010

An Eventful Run


It was a gorgeous spring morning and I was going for a run in the park. The leaves were freshly green, and the flowers had newly bloomed. Birds chirped, bees buzzed in harmony, singing about the spring weather. The pitter, patter of my feet hitting the ground relaxed my mind, beating like a drum. I made a quick left onto Dardenella Street. Suddenly, I was running in the direction of the sun. Beaming against my skin, the suns rays made me feel as if I was somewhere tropical. I only had to look down at the ground, and see the small patches of snow in the process of melting, to remember that I was in Michigan—not Florida.
As I was getting closer to the end of the street, I heard a shriek come from the left. It sounded like it came from an old lady, small and gray haired. I was immediately concerned. I increased my slow run, into a fast sprint and made a left at the next corner. Sure enough, there was an old lady. Legs shaking, heart pounding, the old lady was drowning in tears. As I asked her what was wrong and she explained, “A tall man, in all black, ran by and swiped my purse containing all my money, my keys and ID, and my grandsons birthday gift.” I felt horrible for her and immediately decided to go catch that loser.
She had mentioned that he turned right at the next corner so that is the way I went. Sure enough I saw him sprinting up the road (about a quarter mile away). Exploding like a canon, I sprinted to catch up with him. The adrenaline is probably what caused me to forget how tired I was. My legs were slicing and ripping through the wind so fast, it almost felt like I was flying. Just when I was 2 feet away from him, I leaped through the air and tackled him to the ground! I ripped off his black ski mask and slapped him right across the face, leaving a bright red hand mark; I have always wanted to do that. He then pushed me off of him and reached into his pocket for a gun. With the gun pointing at my face, I strategized my next move. Suddenly, I took one step forward and used a kick I had learned, (from Billy Blanks Tae Bo workout tapes), to kick him right in the spot where it hurts men most. I ripped the gun out of his hands—to find out it wasn’t even loaded, checked his pockets to make sure he hadn’t stole anything.
After calling 911 and reporting the man, I tied him to a tree so the police could catch him easily. I then walked the purse back to the old lady. She thanked me for saving her and especially for returning her grandsons present. The police also rewarded me with a $100 reward for catching the criminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment